Replace Green Card (Permanent Resident Card)

Best Immigration india

Replace Green Card (Permanent Resident Card)

Permanent residents or even conditional residents in certain situations need to either replace or renew their green card for so many reasons like as your green is going expire soon, it has expired, has been lost, stolen, or damaged by chance, etc.

It is not like the old green card, which did not have an expiration date, the latest Form I-551 has an expiration date and is required to be renewed every ten years. This will help United States Citizenship and Immigration Services to improve the green card with extra features such as Green cardholder’s photograph, which are regularly updated. This also makes it less susceptible to fraud.

If you have not applied for a replacement of green card you will not lose your resident status nor you will be penalized. Lawful permanent residents are required to carry evidence of their status if you have not yet applied for the new green card.

If you have lost your green card or if it was stolen. you must file a police report to avoid, misuse or fraud.

There is another easy way to green card replacement for those who are qualified:

You can Apply for Citizenship. You do not need a green card If you become a U.S. Citizen. Legal permanent residents who naturalize join a diverse family of millions of proud Citizens. Citizens have the right to vote and to hold elected offices.

If you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring then do not use Form I-90. You must apply accordingly to remove the conditions:

  • If you have become a conditional resident through marriage to a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, you have to submit Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence.
  • If you have become a conditional resident based on financial investment in a U.S. business, you must submit Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions.

What are the Reasons to File I-90?

If you are a permanent resident or conditional resident, you can file this application:

  • Replace a lost, mutilated, stolen or destroyed green card or
  • Update a green card after the legal change of name or other biographic data or
  • Replace a green card that has incorrect information or
  • Replace a green card that was issued to you but you never received it

If you are a permanent resident, you must file this application:

  • Replace a green card that is going to expire within the next six months or it has already expired or
  • You have received your green card before you were fourteen years of age and you have reached your fourteenth birthday (unless your green card gets expired before your sixteenth birthday) or
  • If you have been a lawful permanent resident in the U.S and are now you are taking up a Commuter Status while actually residing outside the U.S or
  • If you have been in resident commuter status and now you are taking up actual residence in the U.S or
  • If your status has been automatically changed to permanent resident
  • When you have an old version of the green card (for example the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form I-151 - none of them are valid to prove your immigration status anymore) and you must replace it with the current type of the green card (I-551).

Although the old Form I-151 is no longer considered valid since March 20, 1996, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services allows those who may not have received notice to file the new form and submit an application for the replacement of the green card with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or to file for U.S. Citizenship.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services has currently issued the green card (Form I-551) for ten years and this green card must be renewed prior to the expiration date. Although the permanent resident status does not expire with the green card, failure to renew the green card could result in being barred from re-entry until a new green card can be obtained, a process that easily takes months. You can’t use an expired green card as a valid document for purposes of employment eligibility verification.

Required Documentation

You can apply for your green card by mail or online.

Each applicant has to file a separate application form, fees, and set of documents for those who need to replace the green card.

  • Fee, as applicable
  • I-90 Form, Application to replace permanent resident card
  • No photographs, your photographs will be clicked at the time of your fingerprint appointment.
  • Specific Category

Your green card was never received by you.

If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services mailed you a Permanent Resident Card more than 30 days ago and you have not received it, and It has been returned to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services by the P.O as undeliverable;

You have not moved from the address you provided to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services during the application or immigrant visa process that led to the creation of the green card not received.

  • Select Reason "B" in the application, which reads "My authorized green card was never received”.
  • Any supporting documentation
  • Copy of the I-797, Notice of Action that you received for your previously filed Form I-485 (Adjustment of Status), Form I-751 (Removal of Conditions), or Form I-90.

Your green card was issued with incorrect data due to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services administrative error.

  • Select Reason "d" in the application, which reads "My green card was issued with incorrect information because of a United States Citizenship and Immigration Services administrative error".
  • Any documentation that supports the requested correction
  • An original green card containing incorrect information

Correction or Change in Biographic Data.

Name change: The original court order or certified copy of your marriage certificate reflecting the new name

Any other: Copies of documentation to prove that the new data is correct

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services administrative error: Include an explanation

Your Old Green card or Other Evidence of Identity.

Renew your Expiring or Expired Green card: If your green card has already expired or will expire in the next six months, submit a copy of your green card.

Replacing Lost/Damaged Green card: Your green card photocopy, if you have one If you don't have a copy and you are at least 18 years old,

you must bring an identity document, such as driver's license, passport, or a copy of another document containing your name, date of birth, photograph, and signature.

Also, bring a photo report for a lost/stolen green card.

If you have been automatically converted to permanent resident status, you are considered to be replacing your green card. Submit a copy of your temporary status document.

Note: You must submit initial evidence, including your prior permanent resident green card or other evidence of identity, and any supporting documentation when you submit the application.

Some applicants do not need to pay the application fee and/or biometric services fee, as mentioned in the reasons to file above.

Fee details

Filing the Application

I-90 Form can either be filed as a paper application or e-Filing, if eligible. e-Filing instructions : All paper-based Form I-90 applications along with all supporting documentation must be filed at:


P.O. Box 21262


AZ 85036

Please Use the following address for USPS Express Mail and Courier deliveries


Attention: I-90 1820

Skyharbor, Circle S Floor 1

Phoenix, AZ 85034

Your pending application for a replacement of card is temporary evidence of registration.

If your application is approved, you will be mailed a replacement Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, with a 10-year expiration date from the date of issuance.

If you are outside the U.S and your permanent resident card is going to expire in next six months, (but you will return within one year of your departure from the United States and before the green card expires), you should file for your renewal green card as soon as you return to the United States.

If you are outside of the U.S at the time of the green card expiration, and you have not applied for the renewal green card prior to your departure, you should contact the nearest U.S Consulate, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office(USCIS), or Port of Entry, before attempting to file Form I-90 for a renewal I-551 card.


Fingerprints instructions

If you have reached your 14th birthday since your green card was issued, additional fingerprints will be taken. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will notify you in writing of the time and location where you must go for the required biometrics. Failure to appear for biometrics may result in a denial of your application.

If you need to make any change to any information in your submitted application, please bring evidence to support the change with you to your fingerprint appointment. Do not send written correspondence regarding it to the National Benefits Center.

You Should bring the following documents to your fingerprint appointment:

  • Your Appointment letters
  • Your photo identification. Acceptable kinds of photo identifications are:

Your Passport

Your National Identification issued by your country,

Your Driver's license,

Military photo identification,

State-issued photo identification card.

Temporary Evidence

While the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services is reviewing your application, if you need temporary evidence of your status for travel or employment purposes, you may request that at the appropriate United States Citizenship and Immigration Services office at the time that you are completing the fingerprint and signature requirements

They will stamp your passport that indicates you have filed a new green card.the stamp in the passport will serve as proof of the lawful permanent resident status of the bearer. This stamp will enable you to travel outside of the U.S. and re-enter since the stamp in the passport indicates that the person has filed for the replacement green card as required by law.

Change of Address

While your application is pending, if you need to change your address, then you must inform USCIS about the change od Address. You can contact us to do it for you.

Withdrawing the Application

To withdraw or cancel your submitted application, send a written request to:

National Benefits Center

705 B SE Melody Lane, Box 2000,

Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Any fees paid while filing the application will not be refunded or returned.


If the application is denied, you will get a letter from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services explaining why it was denied. While you can't appeal to a higher authority, you may submit a motion to reopen/reconsider their decision with the office that made the unfavorable decision.

A motion to reopen: It states that the new facts are important to be provided in the reopened proceedings and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence.

A motion to reconsider: It must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services policies, and further establish that decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made

Why do you need our attorney to help you with your Replace Green Card process?

U.S.Immigration law is complex and ever-changing. The decisions and findings are often completely discretionary and highly subjective. A small mistake could end up costing you more money in the long term, result in unnecessary delays, and lead to denial of the petition/application and even deportation from the United States.

Our experienced Attorneys are better equipped to understand the U.S Immigration law and determine how it applies to your specific situation. You will save your time, avoid risks, minimize stress, and receive maximum benefits while working with us, Without our guidance, the process is usually much more overwhelming and the outcome is much more uncertain.

We’ve seen so many clients mess up their case because they tried to do things themselves, If you are not clear exactly what you are doing, get legal advice and representation from an experienced attorney.

F4 India Law Office is dedicated to provide you with the best services. We're committed to providing you with personalized legal advice and expert services and instant turnaround for all of your immigration issues we handle.Our Team on a regular basis process all manner of replace your Green Card, filling family-based green cards, appeals, waivers and naturalization services etc.

We Understand Immigration Better